The Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Training & Certification Forum
"Find A Certified Roof Cleaner Directory"

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Safety, Safety!!


guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 157
Date:
Safety, Safety!!
Permalink  
 


After alot of reading and research I found only a couple safety issues regarding trialers. On a daily basis you should check tire pressure, look for nails, makes sure your lites work! I travel all over for work from Cape Coral to Northern Tampa and the Beaches and I've been behind some of you guys with no brake lites. Also make sure your chains are on and that you have a tung pin or a nut n bolt, so your trailer doesnt fly off. Simple check-up could save you from an accident.

__________________
Mark 941-726-7082


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 2278
Date:
Permalink  
 

this is done every time before my trailer touches the road.

-- Edited by Roof Washer New Jersey (609) 929-5812 on Monday 26th of July 2010 04:54:51 PM

__________________

DiamondRoofCleaning_HEADER-part-2_edited-1.jpg

Diamond Roof Cleaning

320 e collings dr

Williamstown NJ 08094

Mike Derose-Owner

609-929-5812



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 2289
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Washer New Jersey (609) 929-5812 wrote:

this is done every time my trailer touches the road.



Mike why is the pictures in your safe roof cleaning website stretched out?

 



__________________
H20 POWERWASHING
Roof Cleaning Lanoka Harbor NJ 08734
clydesampsel@gmail.com
www.roofcleaningjerseyshore.com



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 2278
Date:
Permalink  
 

Becuase i have no idea how to make it fit in there with out it getting streched.

-- Edited by Roof Washer New Jersey (609) 929-5812 on Sunday 25th of July 2010 04:58:13 PM

__________________

DiamondRoofCleaning_HEADER-part-2_edited-1.jpg

Diamond Roof Cleaning

320 e collings dr

Williamstown NJ 08094

Mike Derose-Owner

609-929-5812



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 645
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Washer New Jersey (609) 929-5812 wrote:

this is done every time my trailer touches the road.




good for you.

 

It should be along with other checks



__________________


Bucks County PA Roof Cleaning

267-477-1107
Free Your Pennsylvania Roof From Fungus
Serving all of Bucks and Montgomery Counties and surrounding areas of Philadelphia
Chalfont, PA 18914




Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 2278
Date:
Permalink  
 

i also make sure all my equipment is in tact and fully operational before we head out to a customers house. There is nothing i hate more than down time to fix something that should be fixed at the shop.

__________________

DiamondRoofCleaning_HEADER-part-2_edited-1.jpg

Diamond Roof Cleaning

320 e collings dr

Williamstown NJ 08094

Mike Derose-Owner

609-929-5812



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 423
Date:
Permalink  
 

You should also grease the wheel bearings about every 20,000 miles or sooner, check for uneven wear (bent axles will wear the insides of the tires fast, been there and done that a couple times), uneven wear can lead to balloons in the tires or blowouts.

If you have a tandem axle trailer, you should have the break-away controller for the brakes and need to check that battery every couple months to make sure it is working. I am not sure about the other states but here the trailer that can hold 3000 pounds or more has to have brakes on at least one axle and a brake-away controller.

If you have a tandem axle trailer and it is pulled by a vehicle that is logo'd and/or lettered they consider that a commercial vehicle and it has to have a trailer inspection sticker every year. Not sure about all the states but it is a regulation here.

If you have a lot of weight in the trailer you should take it over the scales and see how heavy it is just so that you know so you don't over load it with water or chemicals and end up bending an axle or two by hitting potholes.

There is more to check but this thread will have more people adding to it I am sure.

__________________

Superior Power Washing
Chris Chappell
361-853-2513
Cleaning Shingle and Tile Roofs in Corpus Christi Texas
No Pressure Roof Cleaning in Corpus Christi Texas
      Texas Certified Roof Cleaner    



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 157
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ha sanyone been hassled by the DOT Department of Transportation.They've been pulling people over down here. A guy I know got a 500 fine for transporting water,all because he didnt say NON POTABLE WATER!!!

__________________
Mark 941-726-7082


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 423
Date:
Permalink  
 

NoPressure wrote:

Ha sanyone been hassled by the DOT Department of Transportation.They've been pulling people over down here. A guy I know got a 500 fine for transporting water,all because he didnt say NON POTABLE WATER!!!



They are cracking down all around the country, tickets are very easy money makers for the state.

When guys are hauling backhoe's, bobcats and other heavy equipment on regular trailers, those are easy tickets because most of the time the equipment is over the capacity of the trailer and a lot of times the truck hauling it is not rated to pull that much weight. I have seen this in person at least a dozen times in the past few months.

I had a light out and they inspected just about every inch of my pressure washing trailer, asking a lot of questions, measuring the length and width of the trailer to make sure that it was legal (it is factory made and no major modifications were done to it) and he found that I needed a 3-light in the middle of the trailer even though it came from the factory without it back in 2004. He gave me a warning for that.

He asked me about the water tank, the buckets of detergent, how much water the tank can hold, etc.... to see if it could be overweight but when I go out of town the tank is only about 60 gallons of water but I know the empty weight so even full the trailer will never be over the weight limit.

When he asked me about the water tank I told him that it is just tap water, no chemicals because that is what feeds the pressure washer, he did not say anything about stickers on the water tank but it is not a bad idea.

He did tell me about all containers being properly labeled or there would be fines for each container no properly labeled which I already knew about that.

I would check the trailer, make sure that any containers are properly labeled along with the hazard diamond, MSDS in the cab within arm's reach, etc... just to be safe.

 



__________________

Superior Power Washing
Chris Chappell
361-853-2513
Cleaning Shingle and Tile Roofs in Corpus Christi Texas
No Pressure Roof Cleaning in Corpus Christi Texas
      Texas Certified Roof Cleaner    



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 157
Date:
Permalink  
 

Sounds like their hitting up everyone. Everyday there is about 10-15 cops on bikes and in cars doing speed traps in a 35 zone, sh=--t its not even a school zone this street is a frickin race track.

__________________
Mark 941-726-7082


RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7908
Date:
Permalink  
 

NoPressure wrote:

Sounds like their hitting up everyone. Everyday there is about 10-15 cops on bikes and in cars doing speed traps in a 35 zone, sh=--t its not even a school zone this street is a frickin race track.



Cops in Tampa are using the seat belt laws to swoop on unsuspecting law abiding citizens as an excuse to pull you over and BUST YOU !
A friend of mine was Busted by Tampa Cops in a seat belt stop for a little weed yawn
He never even had a Traffic Ticket yawn

 



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 157
Date:
Permalink  
 

Man they stand on the side of the road regular clothes and then tell them to pull over.


__________________
Mark 941-726-7082


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 599
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Corpus Christi TX wrote:

You should also grease the wheel bearings about every 20,000 miles or sooner, check for uneven wear (bent axles will wear the insides of the tires fast, been there and done that a couple times), uneven wear can lead to balloons in the tires or blowouts.

If you have a tandem axle trailer, you should have the break-away controller for the brakes and need to check that battery every couple months to make sure it is working. I am not sure about the other states but here the trailer that can hold 3000 pounds or more has to have brakes on at least one axle and a brake-away controller.

If you have a tandem axle trailer and it is pulled by a vehicle that is logo'd and/or lettered they consider that a commercial vehicle and it has to have a trailer inspection sticker every year. Not sure about all the states but it is a regulation here.

If you have a lot of weight in the trailer you should take it over the scales and see how heavy it is just so that you know so you don't over load it with water or chemicals and end up bending an axle or two by hitting potholes.

There is more to check but this thread will have more people adding to it I am sure.



Speaking of greasing wheel hubs, bent axles, and worn tires..... My trailer is a good ol trailer... 7x14 with 3200# axles. Its borderline heavy enough for what we are doing (definately not with tanks full) plus we average 100-150 miles a day on the road.

This year Ive blown a hub out 50 miles from home at 6 in the evening. Without parts available we came on home on 3 wheels.... Which im sure is what caused the leaf spring to break a week later!  I was looking at my nice fairly new 8ply tires earlier and there is no doubt the axles are bent. Im pretty sure you can look at the trailer on flat ground the frame actually looks a little off kilter.

But this is what happens when you buy something for work. I looked at upgrading to a heavier trailer last winter and will be able to justify it now. On top of that Ill have a great 4wheeler trailer.

 



__________________

                                     



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 157
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hey WALMART has kickass prices on rim n tire packages.

__________________
Mark 941-726-7082


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 2278
Date:
Permalink  
 

I HAVE A 7000 LB TANDEM AXEL TRAILER. TWO 100 GALLONS TANKS,ONE SKID UNIT,ONE GIANT AIR COMPRESSOR, THREE HOSE REELS AND GAS AND WHAT NOTS ON THERE. WITH EVERY THING LOADED UP IT IS ONLY 4500 LBS TRAILER IS 2000 LBS SO I AM ABOUT 500 LBS SHY OF THE TOTAL WEIGHT LIMIT I CAN CARRY ON THE TRAILER. I HAVE MY TRAILER GUY MAINTAIN IT EVERY APRIL AND SEPTEMBER.

__________________

DiamondRoofCleaning_HEADER-part-2_edited-1.jpg

Diamond Roof Cleaning

320 e collings dr

Williamstown NJ 08094

Mike Derose-Owner

609-929-5812



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 423
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Arkansas wrote:

Roof Cleaning Corpus Christi TX wrote:

You should also grease the wheel bearings about every 20,000 miles or sooner, check for uneven wear (bent axles will wear the insides of the tires fast, been there and done that a couple times), uneven wear can lead to balloons in the tires or blowouts.

If you have a tandem axle trailer, you should have the break-away controller for the brakes and need to check that battery every couple months to make sure it is working. I am not sure about the other states but here the trailer that can hold 3000 pounds or more has to have brakes on at least one axle and a brake-away controller.

If you have a tandem axle trailer and it is pulled by a vehicle that is logo'd and/or lettered they consider that a commercial vehicle and it has to have a trailer inspection sticker every year. Not sure about all the states but it is a regulation here.

If you have a lot of weight in the trailer you should take it over the scales and see how heavy it is just so that you know so you don't over load it with water or chemicals and end up bending an axle or two by hitting potholes.

There is more to check but this thread will have more people adding to it I am sure.



Speaking of greasing wheel hubs, bent axles, and worn tires..... My trailer is a good ol trailer... 7x14 with 3200# axles. Its borderline heavy enough for what we are doing (definately not with tanks full) plus we average 100-150 miles a day on the road.

This year Ive blown a hub out 50 miles from home at 6 in the evening. Without parts available we came on home on 3 wheels.... Which im sure is what caused the leaf spring to break a week later!  I was looking at my nice fairly new 8ply tires earlier and there is no doubt the axles are bent. Im pretty sure you can look at the trailer on flat ground the frame actually looks a little off kilter.

But this is what happens when you buy something for work. I looked at upgrading to a heavier trailer last winter and will be able to justify it now. On top of that Ill have a great 4wheeler trailer.

 




 I am looking at a new trailer for later on this year with the 5200 or 6000 pound axles (2) so that way I will not have to worry about bending any more axles, I have bent 2 of them already.

The way the trailer repair guy mentioned it to me, the up-and-down action like when you drive over a speed bump or hit a pothole is what usually bends the axles even if you are under the max weight. He told me that the weight is actually amplified somewhat when it goes up then down. I try very hard to drive slow over the speed bumps and watch out for the potholes.

That is why my next trailer will have larger capacity axles, right now the axles on the trailer are rated at 3500 pounds each so going to the stronger axles will not only let me put a some more equipment on the trailer but I will not have to worry that much about the axles like I do now.



__________________

Superior Power Washing
Chris Chappell
361-853-2513
Cleaning Shingle and Tile Roofs in Corpus Christi Texas
No Pressure Roof Cleaning in Corpus Christi Texas
      Texas Certified Roof Cleaner    



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Washer New Jersey (609) 929-5812 wrote:

i also make sure all my equipment is in tact and fully operational before we head out to a customers house. There is nothing i hate more than down time to fix something that should be fixed at the shop.




 The Chit is making repairs on the job. Makin sure that doesnt happen is awesome.



__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 599
Date:
Permalink  
 

Yeah Chris next time around Im going with a HEAVY trailer 5k axles at least. Pipe top with diamond plate fenders. We have a big tex dealer up the road who has fair prices on them.

We also have speed Humps on the hilly streets of Little Rock. I swear Ive ran up on them and slid over them with my brakes locked up! Oooops!

__________________

                                     

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard