The Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Training & Certification Forum
"Find A Certified Roof Cleaner Directory"

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: How to Kill different Moss growing on Cedar Shakes!


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1342
Date: Dec 12, 2012
How to Kill different Moss growing on Cedar Shakes!
Permalink  
 


Wonder why people with cedar roofs allow so much growth to accumulate to begin with.

Rhetorical qustion.

 

Jeff 



-- Edited by Raystown Roof Cleaning Central PA 1-800-236-0322 on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 05:11:00 AM

__________________

Raystown Roof Cleaning
Central, Pa

(814) 644-1396 or 1-800-236-0322

Roof Cleaning Central Pennsylvania

Huntingdon, State College, Lewistown, Altoona









Certified Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1142
Date: Dec 12, 2012
RE: Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Birmingham, Michigan
Permalink  
 


Raystown Roof Cleaning Central PA 1-800-236-0322 wrote:

Ok Bruce, there may be an actual difference in growth strain,..what we get here is VERY rooted into the shingle,..and as I've stated,..especially the edges,..and it is a bitch to easily dislodge,..But because it's so fine and stringy,..that after it's dead,..if you wait a week it will break loose much easier. I actually have a few cedar gazebos I do every year,..no moss or lichen though,..and they turn out very well,..cedar is nice after it's finished.

Jeff


 No doubt Jeff you have that different strain I talked about in Ohio. Ran into it also in Michigan. This stuff was rooted and real stringy.

Roger that, the gazebos do come out real nice when you don't have the lichen or moss. Like art work. biggrin

As to your other post about breakthrough 2/3 a week. We did 32% more roofs this year than last. We average at least three a week and if I work Saturday sometimes four or five a week. Busiest time are spring and fall. Summer is steady but alot of home owner are off vactions etc. We tend to stay 3 or 4 weeks out so that helps.

Getting the jobs hasn't been a problem, getting them cleaned is another story. LOL Good problem to have right! I have trained two other guys to network with next year as they are going to do sub jobs for me. Neil Krans, St. Louis, Mo. and Mark Dye, Ft. Wayne, Ind. Remember Miss Kim that was on here from Fla.? I am training her next spring. She has come along way in the roof cleaning world and will be working out of Michigan next season. She wants to sub also. I'd like to find someone from Neb, Mn and Ill. Been getting alot of requests from out of State throughout the midwest.

Ideally would like to build a cedar roof cleaning network throughout the midwest. At 62 I'd like to come off the ladder and just close deals and sub them out. I am by myself and can go anywhere at anytime. Working on HOA's right now.

Just to give you an idea. Each person trained has their own locations for local jobs. Let's say I go to Regency in Omaha, Neb, very high end and about 600 cedar roofs, let's say I close a number of deals, I contact others and set up for them to come in and clean them. They get their expenses covered and paid a preimum rate for each one they clean. I have done little marketing as most of the jobs come from doing a job and other home owners stop and ask to get a quote.

Last year I went into Coralville, Iowa outside of Iowa City, there was 53 cedar shakes roofs, by the time we left we had cleaned 32 of them. If I remember right it took me about 6 weeks to clean them. If I had a sub to bring in to clean half we could have done them in 3 weeks and moved on to another location. I am sure you see my point.

Anyway, this is the direction I have been working on for the last year. Right now we are working on our database for cedar roofs. Just in Omaha, Neb. which is about 100 miles from me, we have 7,000 names and addresses of cedar shakes home owners and that is only 40% of the locations. All sub divisions. There are 10's of thounsands of cedar shakes roofs throughout the greater midwest, enough to keep ten roof cleaners busy for years. LOL Thus the cedar network, I close them they clean them. Win/Win situation.

Given your experience and time in the business I know you understand the concept.



__________________

Sullivan Roof Cleaning, Inc.

6595 N.E. 12th Ave

Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327

515-971-1430

www.sullivanroofcleaning.com

www.cedarroofclean.com

Serving The Greater MidWest For All Your Cedar Roof Cleaning



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certifiied Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1439
Date: Dec 12, 2012
RE: How to Kill different Moss growing on Cedar Shakes!
Permalink  
 


Central Iowa Roof Cleaning wrote:
Remember Miss Kim that was on here from Fla.? I am training her next spring. She has come along way in the roof cleaning world and will be working out of Michigan next season. She wants to sub also. I'd like to find someone from Neb, Mn and Ill. Been getting alot of requests from out of State throughout the midwest.

 

Great news Bruce,

That would be great to have Randy and Kim back around here helping out, besides they owe us lunch!

 

 



Attachments
__________________

Ugly Shingles LLC Roof Cleaning Logo

517-798-5800

Ugly Shingles LLC Roof Cleaning Metro Detroit 

Get a FREE Roof Cleaning Estimate - See Our Picture Gallery Here

Roof Cleaning MI



RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7899
Date: Dec 12, 2012
Permalink  
 

Kim and her hubby Randy were always some of my favorite people. They are fellow ex Michiganders, like me, so we have that bond going.

I would sure like to see Kim back posting here again Bruce. I just talked to her by phone this week, sent her and Randy a roof cleaning job down in their area.

I thought Kim did an excellent job looking out for the Forum, and keeping close Tabs on enemies of the RCIA. She is quite a Lady!



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



Certified Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1142
Date: Dec 12, 2012
Permalink  
 

Ugly Shingles LLC wrote:
Central Iowa Roof Cleaning wrote:
Remember Miss Kim that was on here from Fla.? I am training her next spring. She has come along way in the roof cleaning world and will be working out of Michigan next season. She wants to sub also. I'd like to find someone from Neb, Mn and Ill. Been getting alot of requests from out of State throughout the midwest.

 

Great news Bruce,

That would be great to have Randy and Kim back around here helping out, besides they owe us lunch!

 

 


 Yeah I'll take lunch also. I believe they'ss be some distance from you guys.



__________________

Sullivan Roof Cleaning, Inc.

6595 N.E. 12th Ave

Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327

515-971-1430

www.sullivanroofcleaning.com

www.cedarroofclean.com

Serving The Greater MidWest For All Your Cedar Roof Cleaning



Certified Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1142
Date: Dec 12, 2012
Permalink  
 

Raystown Roof Cleaning Central PA 1-800-236-0322 wrote:

Wonder why people with cedar roofs allow so much growth to accumulate to begin with.

Rhetorical qustion.

 

Jeff 



-- Edited by Raystown Roof Cleaning Central PA 1-800-236-0322 on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 05:11:00 AM


 Funny you should state such. I have asked the same, most indicated they didn't know you could or should clean them. Duh.



__________________

Sullivan Roof Cleaning, Inc.

6595 N.E. 12th Ave

Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327

515-971-1430

www.sullivanroofcleaning.com

www.cedarroofclean.com

Serving The Greater MidWest For All Your Cedar Roof Cleaning



Certified Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1142
Date: Dec 12, 2012
Permalink  
 

Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa FL (813) 655-8777 wrote:

Kim and her hubby Randy were always some of my favorite people. They are fellow ex Michiganders, like me, so we have that bond going.

I would sure like to see Kim back posting here again Bruce. I just talked to her by phone this week, sent her and Randy a roof cleaning job down in their area.

I thought Kim did an excellent job looking out for the Forum, and keeping close Tabs on enemies of the RCIA. She is quite a Lady!


 She told me you sent her a job. She did do a good job didn't she. She hasn't changed any. LOL



__________________

Sullivan Roof Cleaning, Inc.

6595 N.E. 12th Ave

Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327

515-971-1430

www.sullivanroofcleaning.com

www.cedarroofclean.com

Serving The Greater MidWest For All Your Cedar Roof Cleaning



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date: Dec 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

I remember Kim and Randy too. Met them in Tampa, and the kids!

I helped them with gettin on the first page.

Real good people!

__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 72
Date: Dec 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

Hey Bruce we have talked about networking in the past. What about training us and subing some work out to us. I'm sure those guys in Indiana and Missouri are gonna have their hands full with work down there. With that many cedars in Iowa I'm sure that we could all stay busy. And help each other out. I still have my fulltime job so I'm not looking to take on a butt load of work but some extra $$$$ would help putting kids thru college and paying for a wedding.
I don't really care for the closing part but I really don't mind manual labor. You close 'em I'll help clean 'em. Win/Win!!

__________________

H2O-WASH
creating a cleaner image
Roof and Exterior Cleaning

h2owash@hotmail.com
515-865-9488
 



Certified Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1142
Date: Dec 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

wanna-b-1 wrote:

Hey Bruce we have talked about networking in the past. What about training us and subing some work out to us. I'm sure those guys in Indiana and Missouri are gonna have their hands full with work down there. With that many cedars in Iowa I'm sure that we could all stay busy. And help each other out. I still have my fulltime job so I'm not looking to take on a butt load of work but some extra $$$$ would help putting kids thru college and paying for a wedding.
I don't really care for the closing part but I really don't mind manual labor. You close 'em I'll help clean 'em. Win/Win!!


 Why not Mark. Let's say this early spring we get you started. wink



__________________

Sullivan Roof Cleaning, Inc.

6595 N.E. 12th Ave

Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327

515-971-1430

www.sullivanroofcleaning.com

www.cedarroofclean.com

Serving The Greater MidWest For All Your Cedar Roof Cleaning



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Date: Dec 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

After doing several cedar shake jobs and with the help of others we were able to figure out how to cut back the labor and make these jobs profitable. Looking forward to doing many more this season. 



Attachments
__________________

Roof Cleaner/Stain Removal

Click Here For More Information

517-651-9230

Laingsburg, MI.






Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 72
Date: Dec 14, 2012
Permalink  
 

Sounds good bruce. I'll give you a call after the holidays.



__________________

H2O-WASH
creating a cleaner image
Roof and Exterior Cleaning

h2owash@hotmail.com
515-865-9488
 



Certified Cedar Shake Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1142
Date: Dec 14, 2012
Permalink  
 

larrykilby wrote:

After doing several cedar shake jobs and with the help of others we were able to figure out how to cut back the labor and make these jobs profitable. Looking forward to doing many more this season. 


 Given the moss type Larry, I take it this is the one we talked about this summer?



__________________

Sullivan Roof Cleaning, Inc.

6595 N.E. 12th Ave

Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327

515-971-1430

www.sullivanroofcleaning.com

www.cedarroofclean.com

Serving The Greater MidWest For All Your Cedar Roof Cleaning



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Date: Dec 14, 2012
Permalink  
 

Yes it is, Thanks for the help Bruce!



__________________

Roof Cleaner/Stain Removal

Click Here For More Information

517-651-9230

Laingsburg, MI.




«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard