The Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Training & Certification Forum
"Find A Certified Roof Cleaner Directory"

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: The TRUTH About Air Compressors


RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7919
Date: Jan 13, 2012
The TRUTH About Air Compressors
Permalink  
 


What I am going to tell you is this, a bigger air compressor is better for air operated roof cleaning pumps. We have never used the all flow 3/8 pumps, and the smaller 5 to 6 hp Rigid type air compressors may be OK for them ?

But for any 1/2 or above air operated roof cleaning pump, they will always work much better with a larger CFM compressor. Larger CFM air compressors have 13hp and up gas engines.

Also, a single big tank (hot dog style) beats 2 smaller tanks (wheelbarrow style)

For best performance out of a 1/2 or larger air pump, look for a 13 hp or more hot dog style air compressor. 



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America

Status: Offline
Posts: 177
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

I took your advice from an earlier post and just purchased a Eaton compressor with a 13 hp Honda and a 30 gal tank. What a monster.

 It will be working along side a 1/2" air pump that I purchased from Lori at Pressure Washer Products.  I'll have my set up ready to go the end of Feb. I give you a report at that time
 



__________________

Jim Hamilton

ChicagoLand Roof Cleaners

The Black Streak Removers

Joliet,Il

( 30 miles SW of Chicago)

815-791-8981

Jim@ChicagoLandRoofCleaners.com



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 50
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

That sounds like an awesome setup, Jim! I'm considering the same setup for next year. Hope it works well for ya!

__________________

Logo-Prefered-150w-150dpi.jpg
www.PreferredSoftWash.com
PO Box 103, Greer, SC 29652
Servicing all of Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson & Pickens Counties
sales@PreferredSoftWash.com

864-416-1085

MJ


Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 305
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

We added electric start to our Honda, I would not fight a pull cord for the 200.00 it cost us, when you are starting it 5-10 times a day, it will makes you attitude better.

__________________

Mike Jackson

Roof to Curb Cleaning Pro's

1506 Magnolia Dr.

Cincinnati, OH 45215

513.542.PROS (7767)

www.rooftocurb.com

 
Check out our RTC video HERE!


RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7919
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

MJ wrote:

We added electric start to our Honda, I would not fight a pull cord for the 200.00 it cost us, when you are starting it 5-10 times a day, it will makes you attitude better.


 Our 13 hp Honda Bel Air Comprssor has an unloader, and starts with one good pull, but you need to put some ass into it, LOL



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7919
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

Grime buster wrote:

I took your advice from an earlier post and just purchased a Eaton compressor with a 13 hp Honda and a 30 gal tank. What a monster.

 It will be working along side a 1/2" air pump that I purchased from Lori at Pressure Washer Products.  I'll have my set up ready to go the end of Feb. I give you a report at that time
 


 It will be an awesome roof cleaning system biggrin



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America

Status: Offline
Posts: 177
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

My Eaton came with an electric start. Am going to have it hard wired so no to have to worry about a battery.



__________________

Jim Hamilton

ChicagoLand Roof Cleaners

The Black Streak Removers

Joliet,Il

( 30 miles SW of Chicago)

815-791-8981

Jim@ChicagoLandRoofCleaners.com



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

Bigger is always better , but not always necessary . This picture (if it comes up) is a sealcoat spray system , it uses an 1 1/2 inch dual diaphram air pump . The wheelbarrow compresser keeps up with these spraying sealer all day . I have sprayed 500 gallons basically non stop on large lots.  5 hp is more than sufficent .  It would hold a constant 60 psi all day .

Had I known 15 years ago that they made the AD pumps for chemicals I would have been using one earlier . I didnt want to tear up a sealcoat pump .

 

 



Attachments
sealcoat pump (10.3 kb)
__________________


RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7919
Date: Jan 13, 2012
Permalink  
 

ShingleMD wrote:

Bigger is always better , but not always necessary . This picture (if it comes up) is a sealcoat spray system , it uses an 1 1/2 inch dual diaphram air pump . The wheelbarrow compresser keeps up with these spraying sealer all day . I have sprayed 500 gallons basically non stop on large lots.  5 hp is more than sufficent .  It would hold a constant 60 psi all day .

Had I known 15 years ago that they made the AD pumps for chemicals I would have been using one earlier . I didnt want to tear up a sealcoat pump .

 

 


 It is just like a woofer, or an automobile engine, Bore times Stroke equals displacement. The big BORE of the 1 1/2 inch pump requires LESS air to displace a given amount of fluid.

If you watch an 8 inch woofer making bass, it must move like crazy, and  eats lots of power. But a 15 inch woofer hardly moves, to make the same amount of bass, and requires less power to do so.

Now, if you REALLY want to make bass, you get a 15 inch woofer, and feed it Lots of Power biggrin

Same with a pump, you get a pump, and feed it lots of air. Air to a pump is like watts of power to a woofer, the more power, the more displacement, until mechanical excursion limits are reached.

Your sealcoat 1 1/2 inch pump may have had "enough" air to do the job. But IF you used a larger nozzle, and a bigger air compressor, the pump would spray faster.

Of course, this may not be what was wanted.

The needs of a roof cleaning pump are different from a sealer pump, I think.

For one, we are often spraying UP, not down flat, and sometimes we are 40 feet up on a roof w/300 feet of hose.

Often, we must call on our roof cleaning pumps to shoot 30 to 50 feet, often into the wind, and from 40 foot ladders, with liquid running through 300 feet of hose.

 



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Date: Jan 14, 2012
Permalink  
 

The one problem about all the additional cfm is getting them to the pump , the typical 1/4 inch air hose and fittings limit that cfm . Increase the size of the quick connects from the compressor to 1/2 inch and increase the hose to 1/2 . I like to use cam locks for my air supply restriction is minimal . If you are running a larger compressor try increasing the size of the air hose , you wont be disapointed.


__________________


RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7919
Date: Jan 14, 2012
Permalink  
 

ShingleMD wrote:

The one problem about all the additional cfm is getting them to the pump , the typical 1/4 inch air hose and fittings limit that cfm . Increase the size of the quick connects from the compressor to 1/2 inch and increase the hose to 1/2 . I like to use cam locks for my air supply restriction is minimal . If you are running a larger compressor try increasing the size of the air hose , you wont be disapointed.


 You know, I preach big hose use to all my roof cleaners, it sprays better.

I have never tried larger then 1/4 air hose, I guess I could ?



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard