The Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Training & Certification Forum
"Find A Certified Roof Cleaner Directory"

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: My 12v Delavan boneyard.....


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1607
Date:
My 12v Delavan boneyard.....
Permalink  
 


 

I just went through the 12v pumps that I set aside over the last two seasons to see if I could get any of them running again, or at least salvage spare parts. Managed to get them all going again; 2 fat boys and a 5850, so it's a decent chunk of change in working spares vs buying more for spares.   (There's a dead Penta-Flex on the truck at the yard, so I'll look at it some other time.)

Point being, if anyone wants any assistance in troubleshooting "dead" pumps, feel free to contact me, presuming that you're an active, contributing member of the forum.   It's a fairly straight forward process although I tend to replace them in the field at the first sign of trouble. I find it to be much faster and less of a pita.

And working on old pumps is something to do while it's raining....  All of our roof projects have been put off until at least Friday due to weather   

 

 



__________________
 
American-ProTech 
Proudly serving Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and Atlanta
 (571) 250-9650 VA
 (240) 398-3800 MD
(404) 858-4888 Atlanta GA


Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date:
Permalink  
 

I just threw 2 pumps away yesterday, was gonna play with them and see if fixable.

__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1607
Date:
Permalink  
 

gutterdog wrote:

I just threw 2 pumps away yesterday, was gonna play with them and see if fixable.


If the garbage truck hasn't come by, fish those things outta there Mike!!  If the motor units are bad, then at least the pressure switches and relays are likely good. 

I threw one away over the summer myself....  Drat.... 



__________________
 
American-ProTech 
Proudly serving Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and Atlanta
 (571) 250-9650 VA
 (240) 398-3800 MD
(404) 858-4888 Atlanta GA


Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Northern Virginia (571) 250 9650 wrote:
gutterdog wrote:

I just threw 2 pumps away yesterday, was gonna play with them and see if fixable.


If the garbage truck hasn't come by, fish those things outta there Mike!!  If the motor units are bad, then at least the pressure switches and relays are likely good. 

I threw one away over the summer myself....  Drat.... 


 both made a sound but didnt pump? Was at land fill yesterday and cleaned out the cab and bed. chunked them too. I need to take one apart and see how they work!  just threw em! Damn. Nuther Homer Simpson moment for me!

DOH!!!!



__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 239
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have a handfull of Pentaflex if your feeling froggy! Shoot me a pm

__________________




Ryan Wilkins
Beacon Roof & Exterior Cleaning
321-507-4851     772-26-6804

 



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 599
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ive got a working pentaflex that I took off the truck awhile back because it annoyed me. Its just sitting there in the shop all by its lonesome.

__________________

                                     



RCIA Founder

Status: Offline
Posts: 7904
Date:
Permalink  
 

Treasure Coast Roof Cleaning wrote:

I have a handfull of Pentaflex if your feeling froggy! Shoot me a pm


 The relays go bad on the Pentaflex, then the pressure switches.

The Motors are pretty good. Bob from Pressure Tek can outfit your "bad" Pentaflex with auto parts store relays.

Simply keep a stock of pressure switches, they are easy to change out.

Once Bob modifies the Pentaflex to take  the auto parts store relays, changing one out is a snap.

We use the Pentaflex pump modified by Bob, but it's ONLY purpose in life is to back up my One Inch Wilden Hastelloy Air Pump, and it's monster sized Bel Aire air compressor.



__________________


Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida

711 Westbrook

Brandon, FL 33511

813 655 8777

See our website here 

Click here for more information

Here are more of our services

Watch a short video

 




 



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1398
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have revived many a Delavan Fat Boy by changing out the seals from one that had fried bearings.  Usually the seals go bad from running it at over 60 PSI.  It sure is nice at 80 PSI because it shoots a long distance until the seal blows...



__________________

Professional Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing services company in
Houston Tx, Katy Tx, Fulshear Tx,
Richmond Tx, Sugar Land Tx,
Roof Cleaning Power Washing Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif
Katy, Texas
www.k-mpw.com
Roof Cleaning Pictures Houston Tx
Facebook



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date:
Permalink  
 

I feel really behind with these pumps! Need to take one apart, learn how they work.

__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist-MODERATOR

Status: Offline
Posts: 2142
Date:
Permalink  
 

I just had to change out my transfer pump (Delavan) after almost 3 years. It was leaking out of the pressure switch and had slowed down considerably. Slapped a new pump on. Hopefully I get 2-3 years out of this one too.

__________________

All Surface Roof Cleaning
Largo FL

(727) 543-3276
Roof Cleaning Video
Tile Roof Cleaning�Palm Harbor�Florida
Larry Millette
 Roof Cleaning & Pressure Washing Florida.

  Roof Cleaners Clearwater, Pressure Washers Florida  Roof Cleaners Saint, Petersburg FL 



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1398
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Palm Harbor FL 727 543 3276 wrote:

I just had to change out my transfer pump (Delavan) after almost 3 years. It was leaking out of the pressure switch and had slowed down considerably. Slapped a new pump on. Hopefully I get 2-3 years out of this one too.


 That is exactly what I do with my old Delavan Fat Boys.  I buy a new pump head from Lori at PWP, use it to replace the one on the old Fat Boy, and I am back in business.  Heads are a lot cheaper than entire pumps and easy to repair.  I salvage the old pump seals that are still good from the bad head and use them to fix another Fat Boy head that I have laying around.  Then I have a spare for next time.



__________________

Professional Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing services company in
Houston Tx, Katy Tx, Fulshear Tx,
Richmond Tx, Sugar Land Tx,
Roof Cleaning Power Washing Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif
Katy, Texas
www.k-mpw.com
Roof Cleaning Pictures Houston Tx
Facebook



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1607
Date:
Permalink  
 

 

@Ryan - lemme have a quick look at my Penta-flex (on the truck) before I PM you so that I don't steer you wrong.  I *think* they're wired like a Delevan, but I'm not certain.

@Chris A - I'll give your Penta-flex a good home if ya want!

@Marcus - that's thinkin'!  I abuse some of my pumps as well (80 PSI) but have yet to blow a seal. (It's bound to happen)  How tight do your torque the allen bolts back down or do you just snug them up real good?  And what the heck are those little poker chips in there for??  LOL

@Larry - you must take real god care of your equipment



__________________
 
American-ProTech 
Proudly serving Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and Atlanta
 (571) 250-9650 VA
 (240) 398-3800 MD
(404) 858-4888 Atlanta GA


Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1398
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Northern Virginia (571) 250 9650 wrote:

@Marcus - that's thinkin'!  I abuse some of my pumps as well (80 PSI) but have yet to blow a seal. (It's bound to happen)  How tight do your torque the allen bolts back down or do you just snug them up real good?  And what the heck are those little poker chips in there for??  LOL


 Ah yes Ted, it is nice to run the pump at (80 PSI).  I am surprised that you not blown a seal yet...confuse 

I just snug the allen bolts up real good.

Little poker chips??  Are you talking about the black valve seals that are about 3/4" - 1 " in diameter?



__________________

Professional Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing services company in
Houston Tx, Katy Tx, Fulshear Tx,
Richmond Tx, Sugar Land Tx,
Roof Cleaning Power Washing Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif
Katy, Texas
www.k-mpw.com
Roof Cleaning Pictures Houston Tx
Facebook



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1607
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Katy Texas (281) 392-2304 wrote:
Roof Cleaning Northern Virginia (571) 250 9650 wrote:

@Marcus - that's thinkin'!  I abuse some of my pumps as well (80 PSI) but have yet to blow a seal. (It's bound to happen)  How tight do your torque the allen bolts back down or do you just snug them up real good?  And what the heck are those little poker chips in there for??  LOL


 Ah yes Ted, it is nice to run the pump at (80 PSI).  I am surprised that you not blown a seal yet...confuse 

I just snug the allen bolts up real good.

Little poker chips??  Are you talking about the black valve seals that are about 3/4" - 1 " in diameter?


 That's them! (poker chips)  LOL  They sit on each other nipples facing away from each other, right? 



__________________
 
American-ProTech 
Proudly serving Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and Atlanta
 (571) 250-9650 VA
 (240) 398-3800 MD
(404) 858-4888 Atlanta GA


Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1398
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Northern Virginia (571) 250 9650 wrote:
Roof Cleaning Katy Texas (281) 392-2304 wrote:
Roof Cleaning Northern Virginia (571) 250 9650 wrote:

@Marcus - that's thinkin'!  I abuse some of my pumps as well (80 PSI) but have yet to blow a seal. (It's bound to happen)  How tight do your torque the allen bolts back down or do you just snug them up real good?  And what the heck are those little poker chips in there for??  LOL


 Ah yes Ted, it is nice to run the pump at (80 PSI).  I am surprised that you not blown a seal yet...confuse 

I just snug the allen bolts up real good.

Little poker chips??  Are you talking about the black valve seals that are about 3/4" - 1 " in diameter?


 That's them! (poker chips)  LOL  They sit on each other nipples facing away from each other, right? 


 Yes, that is them.  When they are blown they will have 1/16 holes in them above the plastic  piece that they cover that has holes in it.  They are trying to seal those holes in the plastic piece.



__________________

Professional Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing services company in
Houston Tx, Katy Tx, Fulshear Tx,
Richmond Tx, Sugar Land Tx,
Roof Cleaning Power Washing Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif
Katy, Texas
www.k-mpw.com
Roof Cleaning Pictures Houston Tx
Facebook



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist-MODERATOR

Status: Offline
Posts: 2142
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Northern Virginia (571) 250 9650 wrote:

 

@Ryan - lemme have a quick look at my Penta-flex (on the truck) before I PM you so that I don't steer you wrong.  I *think* they're wired like a Delevan, but I'm not certain.

@Chris A - I'll give your Penta-flex a good home if ya want!

@Marcus - that's thinkin'!  I abuse some of my pumps as well (80 PSI) but have yet to blow a seal. (It's bound to happen)  How tight do your torque the allen bolts back down or do you just snug them up real good?  And what the heck are those little poker chips in there for??  LOL

@Larry - you must take real god care of your equipment


 Ted, my 12 volt is on the side of my trailer and plumbed to a manifold system. I only use it to transfer chems. It has never been under a load/use to spray a roof. I do however run a few gallons of water through it about 15 times a day as I am making mix.

As for the pump, I guess I wasn't too clear when I said I slapped another one on. What I meant was I slapped a WHOLE NEW PUMP on and tossed the old one. It worked hard enough for almost 3 yrs. It was tired. I put it to sleep!!!



__________________

All Surface Roof Cleaning
Largo FL

(727) 543-3276
Roof Cleaning Video
Tile Roof Cleaning�Palm Harbor�Florida
Larry Millette
 Roof Cleaning & Pressure Washing Florida.

  Roof Cleaners Clearwater, Pressure Washers Florida  Roof Cleaners Saint, Petersburg FL 



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 1398
Date:
Permalink  
 

Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida 813-655-8777 wrote:
Treasure Coast Roof Cleaning wrote:

I have a handfull of Pentaflex if your feeling froggy! Shoot me a pm


 The relays go bad on the Pentaflex, then the pressure switches.

The Motors are pretty good. Bob from Pressure Tek can outfit your "bad" Pentaflex with auto parts store relays.


 Chris, do you know any of the details on how to make this mod or what auto parts store relay he is using?



__________________

Professional Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing services company in
Houston Tx, Katy Tx, Fulshear Tx,
Richmond Tx, Sugar Land Tx,
Roof Cleaning Power Washing Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif
Katy, Texas
www.k-mpw.com
Roof Cleaning Pictures Houston Tx
Facebook



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1607
Date:
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Katy Texas (281) 392-2304 wrote:
Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida 813-655-8777 wrote:
Treasure Coast Roof Cleaning wrote:

I have a handfull of Pentaflex if your feeling froggy! Shoot me a pm


 The relays go bad on the Pentaflex, then the pressure switches.

The Motors are pretty good. Bob from Pressure Tek can outfit your "bad" Pentaflex with auto parts store relays.


 Chris, do you know any of the details on how to make this mod or what auto parts store relay he is using?


 A generic 30amp relay works Marcus.  I buy them at Pep Boys for about $5 a pop.  You can find them a lot cheaper on line.  



__________________
 
American-ProTech 
Proudly serving Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and Atlanta
 (571) 250-9650 VA
 (240) 398-3800 MD
(404) 858-4888 Atlanta GA
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard