The Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Training & Certification Forum
"Find A Certified Roof Cleaner Directory"

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Free demos and their effectiveness


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Date: Sep 16, 2010
Free demos and their effectiveness
Permalink  
 


Hey guys I hope you all have a great week so far!  Just wanted to share some of my free demo experiences.  I've found that when a customer requests a free demo that is almost equivalent as the customer saying, "sign me up".  

Here is my perspective on free demos.  First, when a customer requests one try to show up with full equipment for 2 reasons:  1)  It looks more professional.  2)  If the customer likes what he/she sees they may ask if you can just finish the job right there on the spot.

Second, after you've introduced yourself and before you even take your ladder off the rack or unwind any hose go ahead and give them a certificate of your insurance.  DON'T LET THE CUSTOMER BE THE ONE TO REQUEST IT!  Simply say "Oh and before I begin your demo I just wanted to give you a copy of our certificate of insurance so you will have it for your own reference and that you know we are fully insured".  This looks more professional on your behalf, impresses the customer & shows that your are a legitimate business with legitimate practices.

Finally, when you are performing the demo try to clean one of the dirtiest spots on the roof if possible and if you can try to clean a somewhat large area as opposed to a very small spot.  I've attached a photo of a demo I performed for a customer.  I would suggest cleaning a little larger spot than what I did in this photo if possible.  In my opinion this has multiple benefits.  One it creates a more drastic effect when there is a large clean spot in the middle of a very dirty spot on the roof.  Also, the larger cleaned area is just less that you have to clean when you receive the job.  In addition from the homeowners perspective if they have a large clean spot on their roof then more than likely they are going to want the rest of the roof cleaned and more than likely you are the only contractor they have called if they requested a free demo.

Hope this helps guys!  The sames rules apply to demos with any other service you offer as well.  Good luck and go clean some roofs!


Attachments
__________________

Mike Lacey Louisville, KY
Green Goose Roof & Exterior Cleaning LLC

roof stain cleaning louisville ky

roof cleaning louisville ky

 

(502) 386-5961 or info@greengoosecleaning.com



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute of America

Status: Offline
Posts: 102
Date: Sep 17, 2010
Permalink  
 

Mike , nice way to present your product and services. I like the way you prove that you are insured to the people. Do you ever use an I.D. badge when you approach a homeowner? Some areas around here you have to obtain a permit to solicit, but you are not required to have insurance from the Twp., that is between you and the homeowner.

__________________

  Green Apple Roof Cleaning Co LLC

              412 - 389 - 4662 

      Soft wash roof cleaning

 preferred method of the roof manufacturers association 

        



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Date: Sep 17, 2010
Permalink  
 

No, I've never obtained a soliciting badge or anything of that nature.  I wasn't really referring to door-to-door demo soliciting.  I was referring to when a customer calls you and requests one.  

However, there are many communities around here that are no soliciting also.  Many of the neighborhoods around here consider passing out flyers as soliciting also and I've received several calls over the past year about passing flyers out in the neighborhood and I wasn't even placing them inside the mailbox or even on the door handle, but simply inside the newspaper box.  Some neighborhoods do allow you to obtain a permit though.  Not sure how much that costs though.


__________________

Mike Lacey Louisville, KY
Green Goose Roof & Exterior Cleaning LLC

roof stain cleaning louisville ky

roof cleaning louisville ky

 

(502) 386-5961 or info@greengoosecleaning.com



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 210
Date: Sep 17, 2010
Permalink  
 

I agree Mike it does seem to make a difference in the size of your demo spot. We've done it around here powerwashing walkways the same way. Looks good!

-Mike

__________________

MJFulton Services
Non pressure Roof & Exterior Cleaning
Charlottesville Virginia
434 906-0414





Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date: Sep 17, 2010
Permalink  
 

Excellent post.  Thanks for sharing!

__________________

What's Eating Your Roof?
Jon Wolfe
269-377-7940
Grand Rapids, MI

www.whatseatingyourroof.com



none

Status: Offline
Posts: 692
Date: Sep 18, 2010
Permalink  
 

Louisville KY Roof Cleaning 502-386-5961 wrote:

Hey guys I hope you all have a great week so far!  Just wanted to share some of my free demo experiences.  I've found that when a customer requests a free demo that is almost equivalent as the customer saying, "sign me up".  


Here is my perspective on free demos.  First, when a customer requests one try to show up with full equipment for 2 reasons:  1)  It looks more professional.  2)  If the customer likes what he/she sees they may ask if you can just finish the job right there on the spot.

Second, after you've introduced yourself and before you even take your ladder off the rack or unwind any hose go ahead and give them a certificate of your insurance.  DON'T LET THE CUSTOMER BE THE ONE TO REQUEST IT!  Simply say "Oh and before I begin your demo I just wanted to give you a copy of our certificate of insurance so you will have it for your own reference and that you know we are fully insured".  This looks more professional on your behalf, impresses the customer & shows that your are a legitimate business with legitimate practices.

Finally, when you are performing the demo try to clean one of the dirtiest spots on the roof if possible and if you can try to clean a somewhat large area as opposed to a very small spot.  I've attached a photo of a demo I performed for a customer.  I would suggest cleaning a little larger spot than what I did in this photo if possible.  In my opinion this has multiple benefits.  One it creates a more drastic effect when there is a large clean spot in the middle of a very dirty spot on the roof.  Also, the larger cleaned area is just less that you have to clean when you receive the job.  In addition from the homeowners perspective if they have a large clean spot on their roof then more than likely they are going to want the rest of the roof cleaned and more than likely you are the only contractor they have called if they requested a free demo.

Hope this helps guys!  The sames rules apply to demos with any other service you offer as well.  Good luck and go clean some roofs!


Demos, Demos, Demos!!!!!!!! and big Balls! Your gona go far!

AC


 



__________________


Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 443
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

     What's up with the after picture? Needs to be sprayed again. Good advice, though.

__________________


National Cleaning Expo's

Status: Offline
Posts: 2147
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

You like My Demos?????????

http://www.youtube.com/user/pressurecleaning#p/u


All 500 of them


-- Edited by Ron Musgraves on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 10:23:20 AM

__________________

Ron Musgraves

National Cleaning Expos
480-522-5227
Mobile Cleaning Contractor Education Seminars Roundtables

Like Us On Facebook 
Pressure Washing Institute Roof Cleaning Forum



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1172
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

Louisville KY Roof Cleaning 502-386-5961 wrote:

Hey guys I hope you all have a great week so far!  Just wanted to share some of my free demo experiences.  I've found that when a customer requests a free demo that is almost equivalent as the customer saying, "sign me up".  


Here is my perspective on free demos.  First, when a customer requests one try to show up with full equipment for 2 reasons:  1)  It looks more professional.  2)  If the customer likes what he/she sees they may ask if you can just finish the job right there on the spot.

Second, after you've introduced yourself and before you even take your ladder off the rack or unwind any hose go ahead and give them a certificate of your insurance.  DON'T LET THE CUSTOMER BE THE ONE TO REQUEST IT!  Simply say "Oh and before I begin your demo I just wanted to give you a copy of our certificate of insurance so you will have it for your own reference and that you know we are fully insured".  This looks more professional on your behalf, impresses the customer & shows that your are a legitimate business with legitimate practices.

Finally, when you are performing the demo try to clean one of the dirtiest spots on the roof if possible and if you can try to clean a somewhat large area as opposed to a very small spot.  I've attached a photo of a demo I performed for a customer.  I would suggest cleaning a little larger spot than what I did in this photo if possible.  In my opinion this has multiple benefits.  One it creates a more drastic effect when there is a large clean spot in the middle of a very dirty spot on the roof.  Also, the larger cleaned area is just less that you have to clean when you receive the job.  In addition from the homeowners perspective if they have a large clean spot on their roof then more than likely they are going to want the rest of the roof cleaned and more than likely you are the only contractor they have called if they requested a free demo.

Hope this helps guys!  The sames rules apply to demos with any other service you offer as well.  Good luck and go clean some roofs!


My understanding is  the ins company  has to  send the certificate of ins, you  can  show them  you have ins but.. the certificate has to  be  faxed or mailed 



__________________

Elite Roof Cleaners
Roof Cleaning Missouri & Kansas City

 65808-64108

417-230-8103 * 913-839-6577
RoofcleaningMissouri

RoofcleaningKansas



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

I'm pushing free demos now. Its in the ad starting this week.

__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




National Cleaning Expo's

Status: Offline
Posts: 2147
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

gutterdog wrote:

I'm pushing free demos now. Its in the ad starting this week.




 Dont push them, do them!!! People are not going to call you and ask you to clean a spot.

You need to say HEY!!!!!! Let me show you what I can do!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$



__________________

Ron Musgraves

National Cleaning Expos
480-522-5227
Mobile Cleaning Contractor Education Seminars Roundtables

Like Us On Facebook 
Pressure Washing Institute Roof Cleaning Forum



Premium Member Roof Cleaning Institute Of America Certified Roof Cleaning Specialist

Status: Offline
Posts: 3547
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

Ron Musgraves wrote:

gutterdog wrote:

I'm pushing free demos now. Its in the ad starting this week.




 Dont push them, do them!!! People are not going to call you and ask you to clean a spot.

You need to say HEY!!!!!! Let me show you what I can do!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$



Just roll up to a house with a dirty roof?

 



__________________

240-355-1110

From up on the Roof cleaning, Gutter cleaning, to down on the Concrete cleaning...

All pressure washing services in between!

Serving  PG, Charles, St Marys and Calvert county Maryland

Cleaning service 




Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1213
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

Mike, you want to do a demo on EVERY quote you give. And yes, even on some that dont ask for it. :)

__________________




National Cleaning Expo's

Status: Offline
Posts: 2147
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

gutterdog wrote:

Ron Musgraves wrote:

 

gutterdog wrote:

I'm pushing free demos now. Its in the ad starting this week.




 Dont push them, do them!!! People are not going to call you and ask you to clean a spot.

You need to say HEY!!!!!! Let me show you what I can do!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$



Just roll up to a house with a dirty roof?

 



They might work, i would ask.

Poeple are not going to just call you to do a demo, but a demo at a bid might close the deal. No it will close the deal!!!

 



__________________

Ron Musgraves

National Cleaning Expos
480-522-5227
Mobile Cleaning Contractor Education Seminars Roundtables

Like Us On Facebook 
Pressure Washing Institute Roof Cleaning Forum



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1578
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

I agree...these were mine!roof cleaning

Attachments
__________________

Dwayne Miller
FLORIDAWASH
safe roof cleaning

Lake Marion Citrus & Sumter Counties in Florida


facebook-logo.jpg twitter_logo_small.png



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 231
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

Dwayne, that roof cleaning line is too straight to not be a pressure washer. Tell me it ain't so. Hah! Just kiddin with you, bud!

-- Edited by Grizzly on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 09:36:34 PM

__________________

Currently setting up business
Jacksonville, FL



guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 1578
Date: Sep 21, 2010
Permalink  
 

When you learn from the best, what do you expect? biggrin

__________________

Dwayne Miller
FLORIDAWASH
safe roof cleaning

Lake Marion Citrus & Sumter Counties in Florida


facebook-logo.jpg twitter_logo_small.png



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Date: Sep 22, 2010
Permalink  
 

Roof Cleaning Missouri 417-230-8103 wrote:

 

Louisville KY Roof Cleaning 502-386-5961 wrote:

Hey guys I hope you all have a great week so far!  Just wanted to share some of my free demo experiences.  I've found that when a customer requests a free demo that is almost equivalent as the customer saying, "sign me up".


Here is my perspective on free demos.  First, when a customer requests one try to show up with full equipment for 2 reasons:  1)  It looks more professional.  2)  If the customer likes what he/she sees they may ask if you can just finish the job right there on the spot.

Second, after you've introduced yourself and before you even take your ladder off the rack or unwind any hose go ahead and give them a certificate of your insurance.  DON'T LET THE CUSTOMER BE THE ONE TO REQUEST IT!  Simply say "Oh and before I begin your demo I just wanted to give you a copy of our certificate of insurance so you will have it for your own reference and that you know we are fully insured".  This looks more professional on your behalf, impresses the customer & shows that your are a legitimate business with legitimate practices.

Finally, when you are performing the demo try to clean one of the dirtiest spots on the roof if possible and if you can try to clean a somewhat large area as opposed to a very small spot.  I've attached a photo of a demo I performed for a customer.  I would suggest cleaning a little larger spot than what I did in this photo if possible.  In my opinion this has multiple benefits.  One it creates a more drastic effect when there is a large clean spot in the middle of a very dirty spot on the roof.  Also, the larger cleaned area is just less that you have to clean when you receive the job.  In addition from the homeowners perspective if they have a large clean spot on their roof then more than likely they are going to want the rest of the roof cleaned and more than likely you are the only contractor they have called if they requested a free demo.

Hope this helps guys!  The sames rules apply to demos with any other service you offer as well.  Good luck and go clean some roofs!


My understanding is  the ins company  has to  send the certificate of ins, you  can  show them  you have ins but.. the certificate has to  be  faxed or mailed

 




No, the insurance does not have to send them a certificate.  If the customer requests a formal certificate in their name then yes they have to send it.  However, if they just want a generic certificate then you can easily give that to them.  I have hundreds of copies of generic certificates that I give to customers.



__________________

Mike Lacey Louisville, KY
Green Goose Roof & Exterior Cleaning LLC

roof stain cleaning louisville ky

roof cleaning louisville ky

 

(502) 386-5961 or info@greengoosecleaning.com



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 127
Date: Sep 22, 2010
Permalink  
 

While testing out a batch of love on half of my roof I noticed a lot of people driving by would slow down and stare at the roof.  I guarantee they were wondering, "how did he get it so clean."  Anybody starting out ever do a free roof cleaning on a house in a busy area and what were your experiences.  I've got one in mind and i am just wondering how to go about it. 

__________________
Soapy Shingles
Non-Pressure Roof/Exterior Cleaning 
 

 



Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Date: Sep 22, 2010
Permalink  
 

Step 1. Dress nice. Step 2. Knock on customers door. Step 3. Introduce yourself and tell them what you can do for them. You may get the job. You may not. But what it will do is make you more comfortable each time you give a sales pitch to the point it will become second nature. I look at it this way. When you do a single job, it can lead to five other jobs due to referrals, people stopping while you're working, etc. How about you go for that job and tell us how you make out.

__________________
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard